Welcome to Southern! We participate in a wide variety of scholarships, grants, loans and employment opportunities. Most of our students who apply for Financial Assistance, receive some type of aid. The first step to determine eligibility is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) . The FAFSA now requires a FSA ID which is used as an electronic signature. Below you will find the links and instructions for both the FSA ID and the FAFSA.
The Federal government requires each student to create a FSA ID that will be used as an electronic siganture to sign the FAFSA. If a student is a dependent student, one of the parents is required to create their own FSA ID which will also be used to sign the FAFSA. Click HERE for the link to create or edit the FSAID. If you already created a FSA ID and forgot the username/password you can also use the link to reset your information.
The most successful applicants start early by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid as soon after January 1, as possible. The priority deadline of those who are attending in the Fall is July 18, 2016. Students who complete all of their financial assistance requirements by this date will be given proirity for reimbursement in the Fall semester. You can apply for all types of financial assistance by completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). All applications can be electronically submitted by using the FSAID. If for any reason an applicant cannot use their FSA ID to sign the FAFSA there is an option to print/mail a signature page. If you chose to print/mail the signature page it will take 14 days for the Department of Education to receive your signature and begin processing your FAFSA.
If you are dependent student you are required to add your parents demographic and financial information to the FAFSA. Based on the how you respond to the questions on the FAFSA will be if you are required to complete the parent sections. You are an independent student if you meet one or more of the following:
• was born before January 1, 1992
• is married as of the date he/she applies
• will be a graduate or professional student when the award year starts
• is currently serving on active duty for purposes other than training
• is a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
• has dependents other than a spouse that you support at least 6 months out of they year
• was an orphan, foster child, or ward/dependent of the court at any time since the age of 13
• is an emancipated minor or in legal guardianship or was when he/she reached the age of 18 in his state
• was determined at any time since July 1, 2015, to be an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or self-supporting and at risk of being homeless.
After you submit the FAFSA, it takes our office 7-10 days to process it. At least 35% of applicants are placed on Verficiaton. Verificaiton is a process that requires additional documentation. Students can log in through MySouthern to see if they are required to bring in additonal documention. If you are required to submit additional documentation, you can find more explanation and forms in the link to the right named "Verification Requirements"
If you have questions you can contact the Office of Financial Assistance at (304) 896-7060 or email@example.com.