Presidential Search Timeline
The work of the Presidential Search Committee is absolutely confidential until the on-campus interviews. Nomination of qualified individuals may be submitted to Dr. George Ayers at george.ayersandassoc.com
This timeline is intended as a general guide to outline the selection process. Exact dates may vary.
- President Joanne Jaeger Tomblin announces her plan to retire as President of Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College effective June 30, 2015.
- Board of Governors appointed a Presidential Search Ad Hoc Committee to draft a Presidential Position Description, Position Announcement, and Search Committee Procedures to bring before the full Board.
- Board of Governors appoint the Presidential Search Committee which consists of all members of the Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College Board of Governors.
- Mr. Thomas A. Heywood selected as the Presidential Search Committee Chair and Spokesperson.
- Board of Governors approved the Search Committee Procedures, Presidential Position Description, and Position Announcement.
- Presidential Search Ad Hoc Committee sends out Request for Proposals for search consulting firms to assist the Presidential Search Committee.
- Presidential Search Ad Hoc Committee review proposals from potential search firms.
- Board of Governors approve the selection of Dr. Merle Dempsey as Interim President for submission to the West Virginia Council for Community and Technical College Education for final approval.
- Board of Governors select search consultants Ayers & Associates, Inc. to assist in the Presidential search process.
- The West Virginia Council for Community and Technical College Education approve the appointment of Dr. Merle Dempsey as Interim President of Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College effective July 1, 2015.
- Ayers and Associates, Inc. appoint a Presidential Search Consultant Team.
- Ayers and Associates Consultant Team communicates with Board of Governors to develop a search plan.
- Advertising for the position of President of Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College begins. Position announcement placed in print and electronic outlets, distributed to the media, and placed on the college website.
- Consultants recruit candidates and pre-screen resumes for qualifications.
- Consultants visit campus to hold meetings with faculty, staff, students, community leaders, and the Presidential Search Committee about expectations and desired attributes for the next president of Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College (campus visit schedule).
- Consultants use input to develop the institution and position profile in consultation with the Presidential Search Committee Chair.
- Development of an evaluation tool to be used by the Search Consultant Team when assessing applications to facilitate the process of developing a short list of candidates for the Presidential Search Committee to consider for semi-finalist interviews.
- Ayers & Associates Presidential Search Consultant Team begin the process of reviewing credentials, conducting reference checks, and narrowing the candidate pool.
- Presidential Search Committee receives a confidential short list of the 10-12 most promising candidates (unranked) based on the assessment of the Ayers & Associates Presidential Search Consultant Team.
- Presidential Search Committee begins review of applications materials for the 10-12 most promising candidates and any other candidates in the pool.
- Presidential Search Committee selects 6-8 candidates for semi-finalist interviews (on-campus, off-campus at a nearby location, or via Skype or another video meeting option; Candidates’ identities still strictly confidential).
- Scheduling of semi-finalist interviews.
- Presidential Search Committee conducts semi-finalist interviews.
- Presidential Search Committee selects 3-4 unranked candidates for finalist on-campus interviews (Candidate names announced).
- Scheduling of finalist on-campus interviews.
- Final candidates to visit the College, participate in open forums with the college community, and interview with the Presidential Search Committee and 2-3 members of the Council for Community and Technical College Education.
- November 10th - On Campus Interview
- November 11th - On Campus Interviews
- November 12th and 13th - Presidential Search Committee reviews feedback from the campus interviews.
- November 16th - Presidential Search Committee makes its final decision.
- The chosen candidate is presented to the West Virginia Council for Community and Technical College Education for approval.
- The new president assumes office.